Roberta Beary identifies as gender fluid, and writes to connect with the silenced, to let them know they are not alone. After 60 rejections, their prose poem 'After You Self Medicate with Roethke's The Waking Read by Text to Speech App' won the Bridport Prize. Their work appears in The New York Times (Modern Love/Tiny Love Stories), Rattle, and 100 Word Story. The longtime haibun editor at Modern Haiku, they divide their time between the USA and Ireland.
The “bittersweet poignancy” of this collection is a telling awareness of what it means to be human.
Her masterful haiku veer from savage humor to wistful poignancy.
Roberta has been featured in "Haiku in English: THE FIRST HUNDRED YEARS"
You can buy a copy here
Awards and Recognition
- Joint Winner, Bridport Prize for Poetry (2022)
- Winner, Snapshot Press Book Award (2019 & 2006)
- Finalist, Touchstone Distinguished Book Awards (2016)
- Finalist, Eric Hoffer Book Awards (2016)
- Winner, Haiku Society of America Book Award (2014, 2007-2009)
- Finalist, Poetry Society of America Book Award (2008)